You must have always seen a truck loaded with goods or luggage passing by your side now and then. Truck driving has been an age-old job passed on from generation to generation. But today, it is a full-fledged career, and expertise is necessary to drive a truck.
There are many reasons you should take a career in truck driving. For starters, it is an in-demand profession that offers job security. In addition, with the ever-growing popularity of online shopping, there is a constant need for goods to be transported.
If someone asks how much do truck drivers make? With the right company, you can make about $80,000 per year. Truck drivers play a crucial role in keeping the supply chain moving. In addition to being in high demand, truck driving is also a great way to see the country.
What Does A Truck Driver Do?
A truck driver is responsible for operating a commercial truck and transporting goods from one location to another. In most cases, truck drivers must have a genuine commercial driver’s license (CDL) and must adhere to hours of service regulations.
They must deliver items timely and safely over long distances. A driver also needs to look for the assessment and repair of vehicles.
Truck drivers typically start their shifts by inspecting their vehicles to ensure everything is in working order. They then load their trucks with the necessary cargo and begin their journey. During the trip, they must maintain a log of their hours and rest breaks in compliance with hours of service regulations. Once they reach their destination, they unload the cargo and return the empty truck to the terminal.
Is Truck Driving A Good Option?
Truck driving is a great choice, especially for non-degree holders. Here’s the list of reasons why you should choose truck driving:
- A lot of opportunities: As the demand increases, the number of truck drivers falls short daily. More products in demand will lead to increasing demand for logistics in turn.
- Handsome salary: Along with excellent growth prospects, it offers a decent salary too. So on average, how much do truck drivers make? In the US, the mean annual salary of a truck driver is around $50,340.
- A job that offers traveling: It is the best job for those who don’t like the sitting job and love traveling. A truck driver can see and enjoy the beauty of different locations daily.
- Flexible timings: You can choose your schedule conveniently in a few companies. Remember that you should deliver the goods on time. However, the rules vary as per the company, and one might have fixed schedules.
- Fully secured job: when you opt for truck driving as your career, you can be free from losing your job. As the demand is increasing daily, companies require trustworthy and hardworking drivers for their goods transport.
- Simple and short driving training: Various truck driver schools offer proper training to new drivers. Training usually takes six to eight weeks only. These training programs help you to get a CDL. Soon after that, you can start earning money. Best for the one who wants to avoid long-duration training.
- Some additional benefits: If you are working for a company, there are many other additional advantages, including medical insurance, bonuses, vacations, etc.
Truck driving is an excellent career option for anyone looking for a stable job with good pay. With the current shortage of truck drivers, there is a high demand for qualified drivers. Trucking companies are willing to invest in their drivers, providing training and support. As a result, this industry will continue to grow, making it an excellent option for those seeking a long-term career.